We’ve all heard of the dreaded news about two new security flaws named “Spectre” and “Meltdown”. It’s creating havoc with current and previous generation Intel, AMD and ARM processors. While it’s not easy to protect yourself with these type of threats, let’s discuss what these exploits do and how you can protect your PC from total disasters like this.
What is “Meltdown” and “Spectre”?
Meltdown and Spectre breaks the most fundamental isolation with applications. It attacks and allows a program to access the memory, operating system, and also opens secrets of other programs including the operating system. Here are examples below on what both of these exploits affect exactly:
- – Attackers can have access to stealing your passwords, encryption keys, and additional private information
- – Affects many cloud-based services from Google, Amazon, and Microsoft
- – Affect all of the major operating systems such as Windows, Mac OS, Linux, and IOS,
- – Other exploits can occur with a website reading data stored in the browser or even the browser itself where hackers can take advantage of this stored data to extract personal information from you.
What steps are needed to protect yourself from “Meltdown” and “Spectre”?
- Update your BIOS immediately. Check with the manufacturer’s website and see if the latest update they provide has fixed both of these security flaws. If not, make a bookmark of the manufacturers update and keep it on hand until a new update available by then.
- Update to the latest build of Windows, Mac OS, and Linux that provides patches that combats both of these security flaws
- Make sure all of your Anti-Virus, Malware, and Firewall software is constantly updated to provide full protection against security flaws like “Meltdown” and “Spectre”
What other suggestions should I take in keeping my PC safe from “Meltdown” and “Spectre”?
We recommend to give RollBack Rx a try as it’s our comprehensive Windows System Restore solution. It offers the ability to safeguard your PC from any malware, ransomware and Windows System crashes, provides full access control features to lockdown your PC, and full data encryption of multiple hard drives.
By applying these suggestions and tips to your PC, we can protect ourselves from these types of threats and also be more aware of future attacks that can happen to us anytime.